Every once in awhile, you just have to unwind, relax, and let the ideas flow. For Affect, we tried something we’ve never attempted before: An employee Idea Day. In the same vein as Google and HP, everyone on the team was tasked to come up with an idea that would help Affect better serve clients, improve on the work environment or suggest something that we need (even if we didn’t know we needed it). For this, everyone on the team was given a half-day (and some dough) to go off and get inspired. Some folks went to the spa, others the theatre, while I went to the golf course.
Did this plan work? Well today, we let the ideas flow to see what people came up with, and the amazing thing was, not only did everyone
come up with an idea, they came up with an idea that was nearly a no-brainer. Many were easily implementable, while others will take some time, but better serve our clients.
Some of the ideas included:
- An Affect Style Guide – Outlines how to write the Affect way
- Monthly Team Lunches – Provides time to get us out of the office, away from the computer and a chance to spend lunch as a team
- New Office Design – Creates a place for clearing our minds and have a chance to breath, if needed (and possibly a little Wii)
- Green Office Initiative – Outlines steps to save paper, electricity and better recycle
- Mentor Program – Provides assistance and guidance to junior staffers, giving them someone to work closely with
And there were many more ideas that we will talk about later. But what was surprising to me was just how varied these ideas were. Sometouched on aspects of our company that will help recruit more business (not mentioned) while others were
all about crafting an already solid work environment. It’s amazing what employees can come up with when they have the chance.
We will let you know how our ideas come out as we work to implement them. Have your companies done anything similar? What was the result?